ST. MARY’S STAR OF THE SEA CATHEDRAL
In the Northern Territory Times of 15 July 1882 it was reported that “Two Roman Catholic priests of the Order of the Sacred Heart …came ashore and baptised some young children belonging to Catholic families”
This is the first record of activity of the Church in Darwin.
In September 1882, four Jesuit priests, led by Fr Anthony Strele, established a Catholic Mission Station, and within a few years built a church on the site of the current Presbytery.
The existing Cathedral grew out of a need for a new and larger church, as Darwin grew after the end of the 2nd World War.
St Mary’s Star of the Sea is a War Memorial Cathedral. The first sod was turned in December 1957; the foundation stone was laid in July 1958 by Most Rev J P O’Loughlin MSC; the official opening, with solemn blessing by Bishop O’Loughlin took place on 19 August 1962.
THE FAITH, LIFE AND MISSION OF ST. MARY’S CATHEDRAL
St Mary’s Star of the Sea Cathedral is situated in the heart of the central business district of Darwin, and is the principal church of the Diocese of Darwin.
It serves a congregation that varies in numbers on a seasonal basis. In the Dry Season (April to September) it attracts a substantial number of visitors, both from other Parishes within the Diocese, and from interstate and overseas, who visit the Cathedral both for weekend Masses, and as part of the tourists’ exploration of Darwin.
Most Reverend Eugene Hurley DD, Bishop of Darwin
Fr Miguel Zavarese, Acting Administrator
Fr Chediel Mloka, Assistant Priest
Fr Herman Perera
Fr Tom Jose Pandiappallil CMI
Rev. Mr. A. Cunningham, Deacon
Mr. Vin Victory, Parish Secretary
CELEBRATING THE SACRAMENTS
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 6.30am and 12.10pm
Saturday 11.30am and 6.30pm (Vigil)
Sunday 7.30am/ 9.30am / 7.00pm
Public Holidays 9.00am
Saturday 10.45am to 11.20am
5.30pm to 6.15pm
Sacrament of Anointing
Last Saturday monthly at 11.30am Mass
Baptism and Marriage
By appointment through Cathedral Office.
Sacramental Preparation: Parish based and family centred
- First Eucharist (Communion) is celebrated on the Feast of the Body and Blood of the Lord. (Sacramental preparation begins six weeks before).
- Confirmation is celebrated on the Feast of Pentecost. (Sacramental preparation begins six weeks before).
- First Reconciliation is offered normally in the latter part of the year prior to First Eucharist, and at a time suitable for younger children.
- RCIA program began in 2009.
Parishioners and visitors are encouraged to participate in a variety of Liturgical and general ministries, including:
- Minister of the Word.
- Extra-ordinary Eucharistic Minister.
- Catechetics to children – government schools ministry throughout the school year.
- Children’s liturgy of the Word – held during 9.30am Mass on Sundays of Lent, Easter, and Advent.
- Caring for the Cathedral, by way of cleaning and other essential tasks.
GROUPS ACTIVE WITHIN THE CATHEDRAL PARISH
- Legion of Mary meet for prayer 5.00pm Wednesdays, at the Presbytery, and does home visitation.
- Communities of the Neo-Catechumenal Way are active within the Cathedral Parish. Contact Noel Muller Phone: 8945 1013.
CONTACTING THE CATHEDRAL OFFICE
Address: 90 Smith Street, Darwin, NT
Postal Address: GPO Box 229, Darwin, NT 0801
Ph: (08) 8946 2821
Fax: (08) 8981 2916